Thursday, July 2, 2015

Aleph Isn't Tough

A little over three months ago I went to my first "Hebrew School" lesson along with 10 other hopeful students who somehow had bypassed this childhood rite of passage. Today we begin the last lesson in our textbook "Aleph Isn't Tough". A milestone!

Can I read Hebrew? Yes! Can I read Hebrew quickly and without mistakes? Sadly, not yet. But I am very proud of myself and I will keep going until I can.

Our brave and highly patient teacher Sara has offered a second class for those of us wishing to learn words and read more. The second textbook is aptly named "Aleph Isn't Enough".

I owe a debt of gratitude to the authors of this series because the lessons are indeed geared to the adult mind. The rote reading and introduction of the seemingly endless letters, vowels and pronunciation rules are interspersed with interesting commentaries on words, prayers and traditions.

I have a secret goal - to become a Bat Mitzvah by my 67th birthday. I am nervous to even say this goal out loud. Apparently even Aleph Isn't Enough is not enough...

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment