Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Story of the Jews

Two DVDs arrived from Netflix yesterday: British historian Simon Shama's The Story of the Jews.  After watching just two of the five episodes I realized the following:

I didn't know as much about Jewish history as I thought I did.

No matter which country Jews found themselves in, eventually (maybe hundreds of years later) they would persecuted, marginalized, massacred and/or forced to leave (could it happen here??)

Being different is risky. Shunning the practices of your stronger neighbors breeds contempt. 

Sticking together gets you through a lot and going through hard times can unify and fortify you.   Also what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The survival of the Jews through the millenniums is truly the most miraculous phenomena in the entire history of the world.

And, of course, I am proud to be a Jew...

No comments:

Post a Comment