Friday, August 8, 2014

Never Again

Never Again. That's what we Jews say when we mean there could never be another Holocaust. Most Jews believe it.  I am not one of them.

I believe that many, many people in many, many lands hate Jews with a deep seated passion based upon what, I cannot begin to guess or fathom. I believe that under a veneer of tolerance lies a well of animus. I believe that should circumstances change - perhaps due to a global depression or a hateful propaganda campaign - you would once again see prejudice come to the surface and the ugly face of loathing and malice revealed .

Oh, I am paranoid you say? I sincerely hope so. There are so many "good" people in the world, how could another Holocaust happen? I hope you are right.

As Israel fights for survival against an enemy sworn to its destruction and the annihilation of Jews everywhere, I see the world rising to condemn them.  Not the terrorists. Israel.  The same wonderful countries who are supposedly "ashamed" of their Nazi heritage are oh so quick to sink back into anti-Semitism. Recent events in Cape Town, in Glasgow, in Australia and all over Europe point out how fragile their tolerance, good will and support is.

The rabbi at my last Temple said Jews in America are completely assimilated and we are safe here. The reason for his highly optimistic view? Non-Jews want to marry Jews! Wow, lucky us. Asians, black people, Christians, everyone - all think a Jew would be acceptable as a life partner. I certainly don't mean to insult a Rabbi's opinion, but I did point out that he is looking through the rosiest of rose colored glasses.

I hope I am wrong and Never Again is really, truly Never Again...

No comments:

Post a Comment