Sunday, August 23, 2015

My Goal

My new and exciting (at least to me) goal is to be a Bat Mitzvah.  Every since the idea (preposterous!!) first entered my brain it has grown and grown and now it is firmly entrenched.  Failure is not an option. 

To assist my efforts, I have enlisted (coerced) the help of the Temple Bat Mitzvah coach, Larry, who although desperately wanting and needing to take a few years (maybe forever) off after coaching 14 B'nei Mitzvah wanna-be's at one time, agreed to help me. Our second lesson is today.

Larry provided me with a white notebook of the entire Saturday morning service which I am supposed to read and chant in Hebrew. Later will come the Torah and Haftorah portions. I have asked for the portions that I would have read at my "normal" Bat Mitzvah age.

Also forced to help me is hubby. I read from the notebook and he corrects me. If I had to do it on my own I'm sure I would be reinforcing incorrect pronunciations.

My third helper is my study buddy, Mirelle. I admire her because in the same timeframe I had to learn the Hebrew vowels (I already knew the alphabet) she has mastered both the letters AND the vowels. I of course use the term "mastered" liberally as we are both at about the same level. 

Our other study buddy is unfortunately battling some health setbacks. It is her goal to be Bat Mitzvah'd along with her two granddaughters who are studying (remotely) with her.  I hope she makes it.

Having a goal like this at my (advanced) age is challenging to say the least. I am praying I'll get by with a little help from my friends!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment