Saturday, August 15, 2015

Blast From The Past

A former staffer wrote me yesterday and brought me up to date on the state of my former place of employment, specifically the IT Department. Since I retired 3 1/2 years ago, my employer has made a $775,000. purchase to replace what I consider the crowning achievement of my 30 plus year career in application development: an integrated system to support some of the organization's most vital functions.. Apparently the newly purchased system is a humongous disaster.

I searched my memory bank for the specifics of what such a system would have to replace and the tremendous amount of organization and leadership its implementation would entail. I remembered how carefully I planned for my extremely lower cost version (about $100,000) of the same applications. 

I could not help but feel a little proud that I did such a good job on my own system. Perhaps my system was not perfect but I definitely did a thorough job of researching the requirements and it certainly met or exceeded the needs of its users.

I did so ____ the challenges of my former life. I can't seem to find the right word. "Enjoy" is not quite right, neither is "hate" or "fear". I would not go back to work for any amount of money. But somewhere deep inside of me lurks the desire to jump in and fix whatever is wrong. 

I know I could. Wink Wink.

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment