Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Hebrew School

Tomorrow is my first day of Hebrew School.  I've signed up for a one-hour-a-week course for the next twelve weeks in Reading Hebrew. As a friend pointed out, I'm a little late, about 55 years, hahaha.

Oh I have tried to learn Hebrew several times before. As a child I practiced writing my letters in a notebook and singing the Aleph-Bet song. Once, the local public television station televised a class in conversational Hebrew and I mastered the phrase "Abba yoshevet al ha kisay" which means "Father is sitting on the chair". And when I was in high school, they even offered a one semester class in Hebrew that I took as a senior year elective. 

Obviously none of these efforts stuck. I can slowly sound out Hebrew words from their letters which always come out incorrectly as I have no knowledge of the all important Hebrew vowel system.

I have been trying to re-learn the letters that I stumble over. I am back to writing them over and over in a notebook like I did as a child.

The beauty of retirement is a second chance to do the things you always meant to but never quite got around to. Wish me luck this time around!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment